Wednesday, February 29, 2012

New Charity!



Well, it's been a while since I posted anything. But I've big news so had to tell the world - Mollie now has a charity in her name called Mollie Cares. It's all official. We have a bank account and all and our first project is underway. All along since Mollie's first found fame and all the attention she gets wherever she goes I have always thought that she would be a great figurehead for some type of charity.



I also always believed that something good and wonderful should come out of her tragedy and all the sadness because she is so happy still and has taught me so much about postivity and how to embrace life. So it happened that late last year I met a lovely woman who had picked up a sickly kitten near the library where I work and who had come in to ask the cat lady(me!) if she knew about all these feral cats in town. Another kind soul I know from coming to the library also picked up a kitten from the road which was about to be run over and rehomed it. Both these kittens were saved from a life on the streets exposed to disease and all weathers. I got talking with the lady called Catherine and I said we should set up a local animal welfare group and she came back in the new year and we did it. Just like that!



Above is a picture of Timmy just after being rescued. He was taken to the local vets where they said he should be put down but his rescuer opted to get him medicine and nursed him back to health and look at him now (photo next to Mollie)!


Time to start fundraising.. If you would like to make a small contribution to help pay for neutering there is a paypal link on this blog. Anything will help even a euro. I am looking forward to lots of great fundraising events and ideas and am so proud of Mollie for being the dog she is and how she inspires people and lifts their spirits. Go Mollie!!

So here we are now starting our first campaign. Small steps. There are lots of stray cats in the town that will continue to increase in numbers and continue to be sick and spread disease and be cold and hungry if someone doesn't do something. That's where Mollie Cares can help. With funding we can afford to trap neuter return these cats to at least stop them breeding and eventually the numbers will fall. If we find kittens young enough we will try to tame then and rehome them.












No comments: